Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Montauk

Once again, i traveled outside of NYC for my Farewell tour. I swear, it was worth it. Many people think of NY state and immediately think of cement, tall buildings and subways. NY is, in my opinion the most geographically diverse areas in the country. We have Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, the largest state park in the country, The Hudson River, the Finger Lakes (we actually have more lakes that Minnesota, the so called Land Of Lakes) we grow more varieties of Potatoes than Ireland and have a city that legally has its own monetary system (Ithaca).

But above all that, we have some of the most gorgeous beaches this side of Maui. This weekend i travelled to possibly my favorite place on earth (i reserve the right to change my mine on this). I went to Montauk.

Past New York City, past Jones Beach, past the north shore towns on the Long Island Sound, past all the farm lands, past the vineyards and even past the Hamptons is Montauk...The End. Montauk has more protected land than developed land, its a fishing village with million dollar homes. Its an East Coast surfer's haven with farms that grow the best tasting sweet corn i have ever had. Its a summer tourist spot with a year round community. It has been the rumored home of government headquarters for black-ops, alien cover-ups and hiking trails with unexploded land mines. It has a famous lighthouse that is surrounded by amazing waterfront cliffs.

I have been going out to Montauk since I was a kid. Seeing it in the cold air of November is always fun. There are less people, better sunsets, great food, sharks, sea turtles and if you time it right you can catch a seal or two sunning itself on the rocks. (not this trip, sorry to say).

Forget the Hamptons...go out to Montauk.

see the pictures

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted to say I totally agree with you about Montauk. I've actually only ever been there in the winter, around Thanksgiving time. The first time we tried to go there for a sunset, we missed it. We hadn't banked on the traffic as it gfoes back down to one lane. We never even made it to East Hampton. I'm not gifted enough to be able to describe the sunset, only that it had the deepest reds and most vivid oranges I have ever seen and was literally breathtaking.
I have to admit that I only became curious about it because of a song by William Orbit, called 'Montok (sic) Point', where there's a sample about someone showing someone else the lighthouse "which was out on Montauk Point". As a regular visitor to NYC (and New Jersey), and, hopefully, soon to be a resident, all I can say is, if you are there for more than a few days, go to Montauk. Finally, as a word of caution, if you're driving from NYC, allow at least 3 hours to get there. Long Island is....long!
Thanks for the blog. Great stuff.

jp flanigan said...

Thanks allen, montauk is truly a special place.