Thursday, September 6, 2007

Best Pizza In NYC?


New York is the pizza capital of the world, right?

Even if it wasn't invented here, it certainly has a high place of prominence on the mantle of New York culture. Everyone has a favorite pizza place. There are old family arguments over which restaurant does it right. Tourists clamour over getting that "authentic" New York style pizza. Former New Yorkers make it a necessary stop every time they visit, and brag about knowing a small hole-in-the-wall pizza spot that only they know about where some 105 year old, short Italian man hand makes every pie right in front of you from ingredients that was just airlifted from Sicily to Flatbush.

Where is the best pizza in New York?

I intend to do my best to find out. Like a lot of people here, I have eaten tons of pizza...but I have never traveled somewhere just to get a slice. Why should I, its everywhere. But this being my farewell tour to NYC, i will indeed make several pilgrimages to the spots engraved in pizza lore.

Stop #1 was yesterday: Grimaldi's Pizza in Brooklyn. Right under the Brooklyn Bridge by the Fulton Landing is the small Italian restaurant. As the sign outside says: NO SLICES. We went in sat down and ordered a small pie...perfect for 2 people (although I ate most of it). Pictures of famous patrons littered the walls. Cheesy enough as that normally is, here it is somewhat authentic. Grimaldi's was Frank Sinatras favorite place, which is probably why they have a separate spot in Sinatra's home town in Hoboken. Unfortunately we sat next to pictures of Danny Divito and Mike Bloomberg.

Verdict: Worth the trip for anyone in New York. It was a great pie. The Best? I'm not ready to call it the best quite yet. I spent the rest of the day exploring the Brooklyn Waterfront (I'll post about that later) but a nice after meal spot is the Brooklyn ice cream stand right by the landing with a great view of lower Manhattan.

No comments: