Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens


This Sunday I went to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens for the first time in about 7 years, and went with a friend that has lived in NY longer than I have that had never been there.

It was a great day for mid-October but it was still a few months too late to appreciate all the trees and plants in full bloom. It took about 2 hours to walk around and see most of what was there without spending much time at any one exhibit. I think that's how most people enjoy the gardens...just taking a nice leisurely stroll.

My favorite exhibit the first time I went was still my favorite exhibit now: the Bonsai collection. We also saw the Shakespeare gardens with over 80 plants mentioned in his writing, the Fragrance gardens for the blind fully equipped with braille plant markers and the Japanese Hill.

The 52 acre gardens has been up and running since 1910 and continues to be a great little weekend adventure. I want to get up to the Bronx Botanical Gardens soon to compare.

No comments: