Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tibbetts Wetlands

As I start my exploration of the Bronx, the borough I am most excited about seeing, one giant fact became clear: there are giant chunks of NY I just have never been to. For example, as embarrassing as it is for me to admit, I have never been to Van Cortlandt Park...until Yesterday.

I plan on going back to see the whole park later this week, but yesterday after my trip to Indian Pond, I took a small stroll through the Bronx largest open space. After passing Van Cortlandt House Museum and a large statue of Major General Porter, I came across a vast field of weeds and overgrowth that some park goers may mistake for neglected parkland. This is part of Tibbetts Wetlands. It is home to a very large population of birds, including the Great Horned Owl. The area also houses white-tailed deer, hare, wild turkey, and recently NYC's first sighting of coyote in over 50 years.

The Wetlands surround what remains of Tibbetts Brook. The brook was dammed in 1690 by Jacobus Van Cortlandt for his two mills and formed Van Cortlandt Lake, the largest fresh water lake in the Bronx. The northern potion of the brook has been turned mostly into marshland when highway construction diverted its flow and the southern portion has been covered and used as a drainage system into the Harlem River.

Walking through the wetlands is actually very nice. There is small trail with wooden walkways over the marsh and birds are really just about everywhere. I don't know how much maintenance is done in the area, but from what i saw, people have been very respectful not to go off trail or throw any kind of debris in the protected areas.

If this is any indication of Van Cortlandt park, i can't wait to go back to see it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Sideshow,

For years, i've wanted to explore the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Now that I live across the street, my curiosity is raging. Private industry is moving in regularily and it looks like they're about to demolish the old houses near Navy St. so now's the time to go. Maybe, you could get some journalist clearance and invite me to go with you?
corey