Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Secret Pond of the Super Rich

There is a small pond in the Bronx, on top of Fieldston Hill at the end of a dead end road that is quiet, serene and nobody wants you to know it's there.

Have you ever been to Riverdale? Its a very nice neighborhood in the Bronx between Van Cortlandt Park and the Hudson River. Inside of Riverdale is a small semi-gated community that is the nicest house-only neighborhood in NYC. Walking up the hill from the last stop on the 1/9 past Manhattan College (don't ask me why Manhattan college is in the Bronx), the apartment buildings give way to large beautiful houses tucked away behind maple trees and mansions built to compliment the exposed glacial boulders.

This is Fieldston. Entering this neighborhood, there are signs warning that all non-residential vehicles will be towed. There are private security cars driving around, and the locals eyeball anyone they don't recognize. This is a small ultra-rich Westchester-like hamlet right smack in the middle of the Bronx, the borough unfairly known by most of the world as a rough crime-filled cement block...and the home of the Yankees. What they don't show you are the rows of 200 year old mansions built by New York's elite before NY was NY. This area was a separate village when the Bronx was incorporated and may as well still be. It is a very pleasant neighborhood, but i suspect most New Yorkers would resent the signs and the "your not welcome" attitude.

I wasn't there to spy on the filthy rich and ogle their homes, however. I heard a rumor that there was a hidden pond somewhere within the no-park zone. There is. Its called Indian Pond and is at the dead end of Livingston just north of 246th st. It is a very small but serene little pond enclosed by rows of trees and a low rock wall. There are a few benches to sit at...but don't even think about it. There is a sign out front warning that the pond and surrounding park is for the enjoyment of residence of Fieldston only. FUCK THAT!!!

How can you have a private pond in NYC?

What is more enraging than the protectionist attitude of elitist millionaires is that my very up-to-date map has no pond or park to mark the spot. In fact the map shows Livingston as a through road. How does this happen? How does a map company allow a community to hide a pond and a park? Who made this decision? How much does it take to make Hagstroms map company outright lie?

Thanks to the fine folks of the book and website "Forgotten New York" for showing me this spot.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Fieldston, maybe with a nicer tone you could come to the pond as my guest.

jp flanigan said...

No thanks, lionel...i went already. And my tone is the direct reaction to 3 people stopping me to ask if i lived there. Not a very friendly community to "outsiders". This is NYC, i don't need permission to walk down the street!

Unknown said...

JP when I lived in Riverdale they had a private security which I actually liked ( I did not live in one of the beautiful homes but an apt building ) Those homes are beautiful and if I had one sorry but I would like to know who is roaming around after all I am paying property tax. As for Mahattan College as a graduate I really felt a little taken back by your comment on its name, a quick Google would have answered that for you.

Matt RonaldReagan Kocian said...

Let me say I do not live in Fieldstone nor never did, I lived in Marble Hill saying that I have no resentment against success God Bless the residents of Fieldstone that they can afford to live in the homes of their desire and have the security and privacy they are able to afford! The residents have earned what they have and should be able to enjoy it. And as far as having a private pond or park look at Manhattan and Gramercy Park.

Anonymous said...

You can always take a walk east to Van cortlandt lake walk up the railroad tracks oops trail and you will have serenity. Another question I would have is maybe the pond in river dale is on private property and the owner shares it with residents? I personally would not like to live someplace where people are asking if I live there? Even if I had money I would have dogs on property but I always wonder about gated communities is it to keep themselves in or to keep others out? I'm all for just open area. But with a reputation don't screw up the place or it won't go well for ya. Austin street in queens also has permit parking and own police. I guess you get what your willing to pay for.

Anonymous said...

As a kid who grew up in Riverdale on Delafield Ave. at 260th street (Not the wealthy part of the neighborhood)I often went to Indian Pond to fish, throw rocks in it, or slide around on the ice in the winter. It was a great place to be as a child. And not once did any of the people who lived in the multi-million dollar homes surrounding this little gem question us as to why we were there. Never. In fact, we used to knock on their doors in the winter with a shovel on our shoulder and get paid VERY well to remove the snow from their sidewalks. So your little snide remarks here are unwarranted. Sounds to me like you're an angry little man who wanted to post a rant to get some attention. SO there you go, you got mine. Stop being pissed at those who are successful, as it is a sure-fire way to ensure your never being so.

Unknown said...

I grew up in Riverdale and enjoyed many days Ice skating on Indian Pond after school and on week-ends with friends. No one ever bothered us!
We were good kids and never caused any problems.
I think we all appreciated the fact that we had a very nice place to skate and very private.

Unknown said...

I would like to visit this pond with my small children but now i am afraid we may not be welcomed since we do not reside here :(

Jirn said...

I visit Indian Pond several times a week. It is a calming oasis, especially during Covid. I have never been stopped nor felt unwelcome although I live in Riverdale , not in Fieldstone. It is a very welcoming community.