Friday, October 5, 2007

Staten Island Ferry


OK...all bandaged up and back to Staten Island.
When did the Staten Island Ferry turn into the airport? I had to get my bag checked 3 times before they let me on the ferry. 3 TIMES!!! Once, when i got through the door...OK i thought, maybe everyone has to get checked.

But then three big cops came up with an angry dog on a leash and made me throw my bag on the floor, step away from it and made the dog sniff and slobber all over my bag to see if i have a bomb in it.

As if the first cop wasn't enough, or the next three cops with sniffy the bomb sniffing wonder dog may have missed some dangerous material in my bag, another cop asked me to open my bag when i got to the bicycle waiting area. I have to say for those who know my aversion to unwarranted searches, i stayed remarkably calm...maybe it was because the last time i went to Staten Island, I was hit by a truck and this time wanted to stay under the radar.

Anyway, the ferry ride is a great free thing to do in NYC. If you can get on the Ferry at a non-rush hour time, its great. You get some of the best views of lower Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Governor's Island, and the bridges. The ride used to cost 50 cents...now its free.

If you ride a bike, there is a bike rack on the lower level...in fact you HAVE to put your bike there. Just don't bring a bag unless you want it sniffed by a big dog!

No comments: